Mines scattered with remnants of a bygone era, El Dorado is one of the last remaining authentic country towns in Australia
Although little of the original architecture remains, miners’ cottages, churches, public buildings, almond orchards, ancient fig trees and mining relics are a reminder of the town’s bustling past.
The name El Dorado came long before gold was discovered. In 1841, Captain William Fury Baker a settler and previously a Royal Navy Captain, renamed his Barambogie property, near Chiltern, “El Dorado”.
Here, Baker had found his utopia – his ‘pot of gold’ – and the means to a rich life. Little did he know that hidden beyond the boundary of his property lay vast wealth with several floors of alluvial gold and tin and that the miners to come would adopt the name El Dorado for the town.
While here, visit El Dorado Pottery, the Museum (formerly the school), and El Dorado’s three historic churches. The immense gold and tin mining dredge floats at its resting place on the edge of town and is well worth a visit.
El Dorado area offers a variety of accommodation styles ranging from creekside or bush camping on Reedy Creek camping spots, or at Centennial Park and local B&B’s. The general store has amenities such as petrol, a post office, and bank, and the McEvoy Tavern provides meals and refreshments. Showers and toilets, as well as a BBQ, are available at the local Gunhouse park
El Dorado is popular with day trippers, horse riding, and mountain biking groups as well as many cyclists who detour from the world-famous Murray to Mountains Rail Trail. Artists and gemstone fossickers have known and visited the area for many years.